The Rocking Horse Shop

+44 (0)1759 368737 | info@rockinghorse.co.uk

Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Dreams are made of wood......

I am a retired joiner/cabinet maker, living in Newmarket, Suffolk.  I made my first rocking horse in 1986 for my young granddaughter Stephanie, using pine and 12mm birch ply.  The design was taken from a plan published in Woodworking magazine.  The following year, my daughters entered the horse into the national Woodworker Show at Alexandra Palace and I was surprised and delighted to be awarded a Silver Medal.  I then received a commission from Pye Television to build a horse to be raffled at their Pye TV Awards at the London Hilton in the presence of HRH Princess Anne.  It was an appropriate raffle prize as the beneficiary was Riding for the Disabled.

I have since made five more rocking horses for friends’ children (and a rocking horse seat!).  Then, in 2011, I attended Fangfest and was motivated to buy a plan for a medium rocking horse.  So, after a break of many years and at the tender age of 77, I built the horse as an heirloom for my grandson Shaun to hand down to his family – even though he doesn’t have any children yet!  The bug has well and truly bitten as I am now halfway into another horse with a further order pending for a family friend.





Roy Gardiner is a member of our Guild of Rocking Horse Makers.

No comments:

Post a Comment